Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Circles of Self Reflection

Last month, during class we did a very interesting activity called the circle of self.  First, we were instructed to write down five words that define or make up who we are.  I chose fiance, sister, teacher, daughter, and friend.  This was a fairly easy task.  We then were told to get rid of two in which I chose daughter and teacher.  This was really hard but I got rid of these because I was looking at the future and what roles were the most important in my life.  Then, we had to get rid of a third one.  This was even more difficult but I took away friend.  Lastly, we were told to get rid of one more which would leave us with just one word that defines us.  I was left with sister and fiance.  My sister and I are very close but I ended up with keeping fiancé.  He is my future and what makes me the person I am today.  This activity really made me think about myself and the roles I have and the importance that each identity has for me.

I think that this activity could be beneficial for some of my students to do but they would definitely have a different perspective on it compared to me.  My 5th graders would have words that reflect highly on their social life perhaps and their peers rather than family and other things.  I think I could modify this activity a little bit to make this a worthwhile and self-discovery lesson for my students.

This activity allowed me to see again how important my identity and role is in so many situations but at the same time I know how wrapped up I can get in just one of those and then I am not balancing them.  With the start of another busy school year upon us, I need to realize what an equal balance is between these identities and where I need to dedicate my time to.

No comments:

Post a Comment