Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Holonomy

After reading an article around holonomy and cognitive coaching, there were a few key points to reflect on. 

1. Define holonomy. 

After reading this article, I would describe holonomy as the ability to work independently in a successful way where goal setting, self- direction, and self monitoring are visible but when things aren't going right an individual reaches out to other team members or groups for support to improve their ways.  This means that they are not working on their own with only their own ideas but they have that independent confidence in their work but are also open to collaboration and new ideas in order to better their work and achieve success within their goals.

2. How does holonomy agree or disagree with what you have learned or what you have done so far in this program?

I feel that this program focuses a lot on this idea of holonomy in which we are becoming a better teacher because of this idea.  This program has allowed me to develop new ideas of my own stemming from the work that we do and set goals for myself.  With these new ideas we are collaborating with different groups on the weekends in order to perfect and modify ideas.  With this process and a large focus on reflection we are able to gain new ideas from others and reflect on the work we are doing in this program.  All components of holonomy and this program have helped me to achieve success in many areas of my teaching. 


3.) Are any parts of holonomy more important than the others? Why or why not?


When looking at the five different parts of holonomy and their importance I cannot say that certain parts are more important than the others.  The idea of a holonomous person is a well-rounded person who possesses all five states of mind in order to achieve this state of holonomy.  Flexibility, efficacy, craftsmanship, interdependence, and consciousness are all intertwined together in which individuals must have a balance between in order to achieve holonomy.  Even though some of those states of minds might be strong and weak points for various individuals, they all have to be present and balanced. 


4.) Explain each state of mind and how it applies to you as a teacher in your classroom.

Efficacy- making conscious attempts to achieve success while being aware that hard work and effort make a difference. 

I think this is a quality that teachers internally have for the most part.  I go to work everyday with my students being my first and foremost priority.  I am there to better them as individuals and make a difference in their lives.  With this as my main focus, I am developing ideas and lessons regarding my students and it is clear to the outside that I am committed to making a difference in the lives of my children through the work that I do. As problems come up, I keep this focus in mind to work through the challenges and use my resources for help. 

Flexibility- being open to new ideas and perspectives as well as changing when needed. 

This is a huge quality in teaching that teachers are constantly working towards.  I make sure that I am modeling flexibility for my students to help with schedule changes and classroom management. It is also the idea of working with teams and groups of people and being open to their ideas and perspectives it order to better ourselves.  I am always trying to take other perspectives and look through a different lens.  Situations arise all the time when I am making sure to be flexible. 

 Craftsmanship- being proud of your own work and striving to better yourself. 

I am always using resources and tools to perfect my way of teaching.  I take advantage of workshops or trainings when they come up to better myself in my career of teaching.  I also take time to reflect and celebrate my own accomplishments in my career. 

Consciousness- being aware of what is going on around you and improving situations from reflective work. 

As a teacher I am always conscious of my students and the way I am teaching.  This is something that I do all day which then determines what I am doing next in my classroom.  This is also something that I teach my students and what it looks like to monitor their own progress. 

Interdependence- the act of working together to achieve a common goal. 

I work with my students to achieve interdependence by achieving learning targets that are set forth.  I also work together with my grade level, PLC team, and administration on a daily basis to achieve one common goal by using the correct resources and collaborating with these teams. 





No comments:

Post a Comment