Thursday, October 3, 2013

Action Research Abstract

My current action research is around whether ability grouping during literacy instruction improves student's reading scores compared to only using whole group instruction.  I have to keep all 31 of my homeroom students for literacy instruction in my room.  With so many reading levels and abilities, I have formed 6 reading groups based on assessment data from the beginning of the year.  I have a weekly schedule for how many times I meet with each group based on their learning needs in reading.  I will still be teaching some whole group lessons or a mini lesson in reading to the whole group weekly.  To measure student's progress in reading in regards to whole group instruction and small ability group instruction I will use assessment in whole group as well as the small groups and then compare them.  I will use my observations, MAP scores, and daily work to evaluate progress in reading.  I am hoping that my small group instruction each day will improve my student reading achievement scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment